In this guide, you will find how to use Apple AirPrint to print documents from a canon printer. AirPrint uses local network to print email, photos and other documents from iPad, iPod and iPhone directly to printer.
Check the environment
First of all, you need to check the software version of Canon printer software that supports AirPrint. If the canon printer doesn’t support AirPrint, you can use printer update utility to update printer.
- Download it from the Download page. The updater will be found in the firmware section of drivers and software.
- Click on ‘Drivers and downloads’ followed by ‘Firmware’ tab.
- All apple products with iOS 4.2 or later support AirPrint.
- You can check the software version through Nozzle check pattern. If it is printed, then no need to print.
- The software update is mandatory.
The apple device and the cannon printer from where you will print must be connected to the same wireless LAN. Airprint with the help of Bonjour will detect your canon printer.
Printing through AirPrint
- You must ensure that the printer is turned on and is connected to the local LAN.
- From the Apple device, click on ‘Apple app’ and the arrow button to display the menu.
- From the drop-down menu, click on ‘Print’.
- From printer option, Select ‘Printer’.
Note: Due to lack of support, some printers don’t support AirPrint, so you won’t be able to print through that application.
- For a copy, click on ‘+’, ‘-‘ to set the number of copies.
- For duplex printing, Click ‘Ok’ on ‘Duplex printing’.
- If your file type has multiple pages, then you can select the range and click on ‘All’ or ‘Range of pages’.
The printer options may vary with the model number and the printer manufacturers. Normally, when you click on ‘Print’, you will find the different options displayed on the screen. These are:
- Printer: Select the printer you want to connect to the Wi-Fi.
- Copies: Select the number of copies.
- Duplex printing: If printer support duplex printing, you can turn it on or off.
- Range: The page range is used to specify the file types.
- Tap print.
If used with Airprint, the paper size will be selected automatically according to the app being used on an apple device.
When you select the photo image, the paper size will be set automatically to 4×6.
When a document is printing from the safari browser, then it will be set to letter size.
Checking printing status
During printing, the icon will be displayed on the recently used apps.
To display the list of latest apps used, press the home button from the Apple device. You will find the Print icon at the bottom.
Deleting a print job
You can use either of the two methods to delete the print jobs:
- From the printer operation panel, press the stop button to cancel the print job.
- From an Apple device: Press the home button twice from the Apple gadget. Click on ‘Print icon’ and open the jobs that are currently on the list.
- Click on the print job you need to cancel.