The Mac’s printing system is very strong and powerful. In most of the cases, it is easy to install the printer and scanner on Mac. Even old printers that don’t have current driver can be installed using the manual installation process. However, sometimes, you may get a problem in setting up a printer or printer fails to show up in the printer box. You can do nothing to bring it back to the idle state or to the online mode.
Try the basic troubleshooting methods:
- Check printer ink/toner.
- Power cycle your printer.
- If you are using a USB printer, then disconnect and reconnect it again.
- Use software update or visit manufacturer website to check if a new version of the software is available or not.
- Delete and re-install the printer and ‘Printer and scanner’ preference pane.
If you are still getting the same problem, then check out the following components like caches, preferences, components and other odds and ends.
Luckily, you can easily restore the printer system of OS X to the default state. In most of the Mac, you can flash out aging printer files and re-install the reliable printer on the Mac.
Reset Printing system
Before starting with the resetting process, it must be remembered that this is the last resort to any problem. Resetting will delete all the files and remove all files related to printer.
- Delete all printer queues and any printing jobs.
- Reset the printer settings to the factory default.
- Remove printer preferences.
- Reset all permissions from temp directory.
- Delete all the printer or scanners which are currently added to the printer and scanner preference pane.
How to Reset printing system in OS X Mavericks?
- Open System Preferences: You can open preferences from ‘Apple menu’ or by clicking in the Dock.
- Select printer and scanner from the pane.
- Go to the empty area by placing the cursor in that Printer and Scanner preference pane. Right click on the printing system and reset it.
- You will be prompted for this action. Click ‘Reset button’ and submit ‘Yes’.
- Enter Administrator password and click ‘OK’.
This will reset the printing system.
How to reset OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion Printing System?
- Go to System Preferences and click on ‘Apple menu’ you will find this in the Dock.
- Go to ‘Print and scan’ preference pane.
- Right-click in a blank area of printer screen. Click on ‘Reset printing system’.
- You will be asked if you really want to ‘Reset printing’. Click ‘OK’ to continue.
- Enter administrator password and click ‘Ok’.
In this way, the printer will get reset on the OS Mountain Lion.
For More Help & Support Contact iPad Printer Setup.